About The Project
The Hermosa Inn has been a landmark of Paradise Valley since the 1930s, but over time, it struggled to compete in the luxury market. See how Patton Asset Management’s founder, Michael Gildersleeve, helped modernize the resort and revive its chic image.
"Over the past 10 years, LON’s Restaurant and The Hermosa Inn has been successful because of Michael’s leadership. He helped us weather the 2008 economic crisis, complete two major remodels, and rebrand the property — all while managing a high-volume, challenging restaurant. His strong marketing background and financial expertise allowed us to stay competitive as the hospitality industry evolved. We couldn't have done it without him.
- Fred and Jennifer Unger, Owners of Springcreek Development and Former Owners of The Hermosa Inn
About the Project
The Hermosa Inn has been a landmark of Paradise Valley since the 1930s, but over time, it struggled to compete in the luxury market. The owners contacted Patton Asset Management’s founder, Michael Gildersleeve, for help elevating the resort experience and reviving its chic image.
Gildersleeve assumed the role of Managing Director in 2003 and began the process of modernizing the resort, including:
- Redesigning the culinary program at the hotel’s legendary LON’s restaurant
- Building an Executive Committee
- Reorganizing and retraining staff to deliver a superior guest experience
- Developing an award-winning Artist-in-Residence program
- Improving relationships with surrounding neighbors
- Representing the Inn on the board of several Valley hotel and resort associations
- Creating an award-winning employee culture program
Gildersleeve also was part a year-long remodel in 2007, alongside Don Ziebell of Oz Architects and Richard Warnick of CHMWarnick. While the project was scaled back due to the recession, he helped spearhead a $2-million remodel that transformed The Hermosa Inn into a world-renowned resort.
By 2015, the hotel had earned dozens of awards and almost doubled all key financial metrics. Gildersleeve then helped transition the Inn to new ownership and took over as Asset Manager of the property moving forward, which has included coordinating the addition of six new rooms and a new lobby.
About the Property
Ranked among the top hotels in the Southwest, The Hermosa Inn is a historic jewel hidden in the exclusive Paradise Valley neighborhood. Handcrafted in the 1930s by cowboy artist Lon Megargee as his residence and art studio, the Inn’s adobe architecture combines “old Arizona” character with modern amenities. With charming casitas, beautiful grounds, breathtaking views of Camelback Mountain, and artful American cuisine at LON’s, this resort is definitely one to remember.
- Food and Beverage Program Repositioning
- Staff Reorganization, Training, and Culture
- Program Development for Artist-in-Resident Initiative
- Community and Government Relations
- Planning and Development for $2-Million Remodel
- Planning and Management for Rebrand and Website Redesign
- Several Board Memberships and Leadership Positions
Paradise Valley, AZ
Boutique luxury inn
44 deluxe rooms with a four-star restaurant,
garden grounds, and outdoor dining
Luxury inn, fine dining, outdoor patios, deluxe casitas, garden setting, beautiful views of Camelback Mountain
5532 North Palo Cristi Road
Paradise Valley, AZ 85253
Lon Megargee/Don Ziebell, Oz Architects